The Mexican Football Federation (FMF) was founded on August 23, 1927 and affiliated with FIFA in 1929 ahead of the inaugural FIFA World Cup the following year. The national team has featured 3 distinct crests over their history.
The original crest used at the 1930 FIFA World Cup was a shield style badge. ‘MEXICO’ was written at the top of the shield with the green, white, and red colors from the national flag underneath. This crest was used largely unchanged for the next 5 decades.
Mexico updated their badge prior to hosting the FIFA World Cup in 1970 and 1986.
The 1970’s update added the Mexican coat of arms to the crest with the entire crest larger than previously worn.
The crest started to look similar to what we have now in the run up to the 1986 FIFA World Cup. The Aztec calendar became the centerpiece of the crest surrounded by the colors of Mexico’s flag and the official name of the soccer federation, ‘Federacion Mexican de Futbol.’ Near the base of the crest is a retro looking soccer ball. This crest was used until after the 1994 FIFA World Cup.
The crest was updated to include a modern looking soccer ball that now obscures the original face on the Aztec calendar. It is this badge that is still in use today.
The Mexican national soccer team has called Azteca Stadium ‘home’ since it opened in 1966. The stadium which sits 7,200 feet above sea level has been a fortress for El Tricolor during that time and made them one of the dominant teams in the CONCACAF region.
But the stadium has a history that extends beyond the region to make it one of the most hallowed soccer grounds in the world. Azteca was the first stadium to host 2 World Cup finals with Pele and Diego Maradona lifting the trophy in 1970 and 1986, respectively. (Maracana in Brazil is the only other stadium to host 2 FIFA World Cup finals.) It was also the primary venue for the 1968 Summer Olympics.
Azteca is home to Club America in the domestic Mexican Liga MX and played in the inaugural match against Torino FC on May 29, 1966. America’s Brazilian Arlindo Dos Santos scored the opening goal at the new venue but the home side eventually settled for a 2-2 draw. Mexican president Gustavo Díaz Ordaz kicked the first ball and then FIFA president Sir Stanley Rous was at the inaugural match.
Even from the start, Estadio Azteca was special and built with the beautiful game in mind. Architects Pedro Ramirez Vasquez and Rafael Mijares visited famous soccer stadia around the world gleaning ideas on what made them special.
While the stadium is still known as ‘Azteca’ to most fans it is officially named Guillermo Canedo. Its nickname is ‘Coloso de Santa Úrsula (Colossus of Saint Ursula) due to it being located in the Saint Ursula suburb of Mexico City.
Azteca Stadium currently has a capacity of 87,000 but hosted a record soccer crowd of 119,853 for the Mexico vs Brazil match in 1968.
5 Classic Matches at Estadio Azteca
Italy 4 – 3 West Germany (1970 FIFA World Cup Semi-Final)
Brazil 4 - 1 Italy (1970 FIFA World Cup Final)
Argentina 2 -1 England (1986 FIFA World Cup Semi-Final)
Argentina 3 - 2 West Germany (1986 FIFA World Cup Final)
Mexico 4 - 3 Brazil (1999 Confederations Cup)